KRT West Access KRT East Access
Accessing the trail from your front door
By foot or by bike, the trail can be accessed at any crossroad or sidewalk.
If your property is directly adjacent to the trail, you can access it from your property.
Accessing the trail in Urbana, IL
Walmart welcomes visitors to the store from the trail in an easy to access spur along the north edge of the parking lot. Bike racks are available on the northwest corner of the store.
Weaver Park welcomes all visitors to this east-Urbana park. Weaver Park serves as a primitive trailhead facility providing limited parking, picnic tables, portable restroom, bike rack and trail information. Family-friendly access to the trail is recommended at Walmart.
Accessing the trail by using the Champaign Urbana Mass Transit District
Accessing the Kickapoo Rail Trail using the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (MTD) is simple and allows those traveling the Trail greater access to any destination within the District. MTD is the public transit provider for Champaign, Urbana, Savoy and the University of Illinois.
Currently, the most convenient access point for Trail users is at the Urbana Walmart on High Cross Road/Myra Station Road/Route 130 at University Ave/Route 150. There is sidewalk access that allows Trail users to exit the Trail at High Cross Road and Route 150, travel south on High Cross Road (in front of Walmart), and continue East on Tatman Drive to the MTD bus shelter located on Tatman Drive due south of Walmart. From there, riders can access MTD’s Grey line.
All MTD vehicles have front-mounted bike racks for your convenience. Please see cumtd.com or call 217.384.8188 to plan your trip and for additional information.
Accessing the trail in St. Joseph, IL
Kolb Park is a family friendly park on the west side of St. Joseph that offers many amenities. It is an official trail head for the KRT with only a half block walk to access the trail. Watch for improvements at the park over the next year thanks to a Recreational Trails Program Grant.
Kolb Park is located at the corners of W. Sherman and N. Elm Streets in St. Joseph.
Kolb Park Map
Downtown business parking – Tami Fruhling-Voges, Mayor of St. Joseph, welcomes you to explore the many unique shops and restaurants in town as well as some of your favorite franchised restaurants. St. Joseph has free downtown parking and easy walking access to most of the town.
St. Joseph or the Chamber of Commerce
Large Event – If you are having a large event and in search of parking, a temporary lot is available near Fourth St. in St. Joseph. This lot is available with a special use permit from the Champaign County Forest Preserve District by calling (217) 586-3360.
Visiting from out of town?
Champaign Urbana has train, bus and airport hubs in the community
Amtrak, Greyhound, and airport information here.
For your own safety and to make your trip more enjoyable remember:
· Parking is not allowed on County roadways that intersect the trail.
· Park only in designated areas.
· Please do not block private driveways or agricultural access areas.
· Keep your car locked and valuables hidden from sight.
· Do you have your necessities on your person such as keys, water, pet leash, kid’s needs, etc?
· Do you have your bike lock with you?
· Check with local agencies to determine proper parking areas or requirements.
· No overnight parking is allowed.
· In some cases, you may park your car at a local business: be sure to request permission ahead of time.
· Make note of mile markers or street crossings during your visit in case of emergency.
· Never leave pets in your car no matter how short your visit may be.
· If you have an emergency, please call 911.