Aerial view of Lake of the Woods in 1948
Lake of the Woods Park opened in 1948, shortly after the District purchased 260 acres of land near Mahomet. This photograph, taken that year, shows what would become the swimming area. The upper left corner of the picture is the area where the pro shop and clubhouse would eventually be built. The field above the lake, which was a landing strip at that point, became the Par 3 Golf Course in 1958.